Navigation

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Blue Drop - Maiorita Tenshi

Blue Drop - Maiorita Tenshi by Yoshitomi Akihito
Overall: Interesting
Smexy Times: Dry
Art: Crap / Special Mix








Hey guys, guess who hasn't been doing anything this summer? That's me. Unfortunately, this means I haven't updated this blog either. But today, I'm back. (Although I won't be back next week because I'll be camping. But hopefully after that, this blog will pick up again.)


Now onto the review.
I'm going to start out by saying I use the term 'Interesting' lightly. This reminds me of a certain other manga I've reviewed that had an interesting idea, but was not used to its' full potential. This is another one of those.


The story starts out during a war in Japan where Aliens called Gosta are trying to invade the planet by dropping pretty women from the sky who EXPLODE and destroy shit. Our main character has been orphaned because one of these living time bombs exploded and killed her parents. The girl, Sachi, takes care of some of the younger children by feeding them in their living complex. And then one day, a girl with no memories, Ai, comes to the complex as well. As the girl has no idea of who she really is other than her name, it's Sachi's job to take care of her, and they become roomies. Ai's a rather paranoid thing, so Sachi ends up comforting her quite a bit, and so they sleep in the same bed.


The next day that Ai is there, she trips and reveals that her blood is white, which is an obvious sign of being an Alien! This obviously explains Ai's fear. She doesn't want to be taken away by the soliders because she's a bomb just waiting to explode. This creates a bit of tension, but Sachi is glad that Ai didn't blow up because, you know, then we wouldn't get any homoromantic tension between the two. (No, actually, there isn't any homoromantic tension, being as Sachi is nine years old.)


Well that's when Ai decides to pull out all the lesbian stops, since apparently all Aliens are homosexual women. (What, you didn't know that?) They can also produce children with other women. No, don't ask me either.
Anyway, the army begins their Gosta Hunt, and Sachi helps Ai escape, afraid she will never see the lesbian Alien again. But then she sees that there's been an explosion nearby, and she fears the worst; Ai blew herself up.


Well skip some years later, and I think you can figure out what happens. Ai didn't die, she was just hiding, blah blah blah. If you didn't see that ending from miles away, you need glasses my friend. (But can't she still explode? Did the military disable her explosion system? I don't understand how she's NOT DANGEROUS now.)


The story isn't necessarily anything special. As I said before, the idea was interesting, but to say that they put it to full use would probably be a lie. Also, nine year olds in love just makes me feel awkward, and it's not something I would voluntarily want to read about in a yuri novel. So I will reluctantly rate this manga the way I do. The art isn't very pretty, but it's certainly a different, non-shoujo style. If this sounds like something interesting to you, you should give it a shot. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment